A random-effects model was used in all instances.
Results: Eight trials (n = 774) were identified and subjected to meta-analysis. Statins reduced postoperative atrial fibrillation risk (relative click here risk 0.57, 95% confidence interval 0.45-0.72, P < .0001, risk difference -0.14, 95% confidence interval -0.20 to -0.08, P < .0001, number needed to treat 8) and total hospital stay (weighted mean difference -0.66 days, 95% confidence interval -1.01 to -0.30 days, P = .0004) relative to placebo. Intensive care unit stay was also reduced (weighted mean difference -0.17 days, 95% confidence interval -0.37 to 0.03 days, P = .09) but did not meet prespecified
criteria for statistical significance. Metaregression analysis revealed association between duration
of preoperative statin prophylaxis and postoperative atrial fibrillation risk reduction (3% reduction per day, P = .008). No association was found between statin dose used and risk reduction (P = .47).
Conclusions: Evidence suggests that statins are associated with reduced risk of postoperative atrial fibrillation Selisistat order and shorter hospital stay after cardiac surgery and that earlier therapy results in more profound benefit. (J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2010;140:364-72)”
“Objective: This article illustrates our operative technique for pharyngostomy tube placement and describes our clinical experience with pharyngostomy use for gastric conduit decompression after esophagectomy.
Methods: We retrospectively reviewed patients undergoing pharyngostomy this website tube placement for gastric conduit decompression after esophagectomy from January 2008 to August 2009. Patients
were included if they had a pharyngostomy tube placed at esophagectomy (prophylactic placement) or as a means of decompression after post-esophagectomy anastomotic leak (therapeutic placement). We collected operative and clinical data and performed a descriptive statistical analysis.
Results: We placed 25 pharyngostomy tubes for gastric conduit decompression after esophagectomy. Eleven were placed prophylactically (44%); the remaining 14 were placed therapeutically (56%) after anastomotic leak. Prophylactic pharyngostomy tubes remained in place a median of 8 days (range 4-17 days), whereas therapeutic pharyngostomy tubes were left in place a median of 15 days (range 7-125 days). There were 4 infectious complications (16%) unrelated to length of pharyngostomy use: 2 cases of cellulitis (resolved with antibiotics, tube remaining in place) and 2 superficial abscesses after tube removal requiring bedside debridement. Seventy-two percent of patients underwent swallow evaluation; 22% of these patients had radiographic evidence of aspiration.
Conclusions: Pharyngostomy tube placement for gastric conduit decompression after esophagectomy is simple, and tubes can stay in place for prolonged periods.